SKY High and the Education Precinct
Parents in Yarraville, Seddon and Kingsville campaigned for more than a decade to establish a new government secondary school in the inner west and the Andrews Government is delivering one as part of the Footscray Learning Precinct.
In a major win for the growing number of families in the area, the Victorian Budget 2018/19 allocated more than $30 million to build a junior campus on Pilgrim Street in Seddon.
This represents the single largest funding allocation ever made to an education project in the Williamstown electorate and comes after an allocation of $1.5 million for planning and $10.6 million for construction was made in past budgets.
A transition plan will begin next year and a transition coordinator will be appointed to oversee the process. Under the plan:
- From 2020, Footscray City College will become a new senior campus for Years 10-12.
- From 2020, Gilmore College will be a co-educational junior campus for Years 7-9.
- A new secondary campus in Seddon will be a co-educational junior campus for Years 7-9, with construction to commence late this year and the first intake of Years 7 to 8 students scheduled for 2021.
- In 2019, Gilmore College will start changing its enrolments, with no Years 7 or 11 intake.
- Current Footscray City College students will complete their school education at the current site.
- We will appoint a Transition Coordinator in 2018 to develop individual transition plans for students.
This project will ensure that every young person in the west has access to a great education and is supported in achieving what they want in the future.
More information about the Footscray Learning Precinct can be found at: www.schoolbuildings.vic.gov.au.